Car insurance for young drivers in the UK, especially those under 21, can be expensive due to their perceived higher risk profile by insurance providers. This age group is considered high-risk due to their limited driving experience and statistically higher accident rates. Therefore, their premiums are significantly higher than average.
If you only need to drive occasionally, a short-term car insurance for young drivers can be a more cost-effective option compared to annual coverage. This is particularly useful for those who only use their car during specific seasons or for short trips. Here’s what you need to know about short-term car insurance for young drivers under 21.
Short term or temporary car insurance is the broadest term, encompassing any insurance policy lasting less than the standard six months or one year. This type of car insurance is ideal for several scenarios:
- Seasonal drivers: Those who only use a car for specific periods, like winter or summer.
- Borrowing or renting: Individuals who need temporary insurance to use a friend’s car or a rented vehicle.
- Car sharing: People who participate in car-sharing programs often require short-term coverage.
- New drivers: Young drivers with limited driving experience can benefit from shorter-term policies before committing to a full-year plan.
Short-term insurance offers several advantages to young drivers in the UK over traditional annual policies, especially for specific situations and needs, such as the ones listed above. Here are some key benefits:
- Cost-saving: Ideal for situations where a car is only used for part of the year, saving money compared to annual policies.
- Flexibility: Available for periods ranging from one day to one month, catering to diverse needs.
- Coverage: Provides comprehensive protection against accidents and damage.
There are a number of temporary car insurance for drivers under 21-year-old. They are:
Hourly car insurance provides young drivers aged 18-21 with a flexible and cost-effective way to get temporary cover, perfect for borrowing a friend’s car, occasional driving, or even testing a car before purchase. This option offers numerous benefits, including the ability to only pay for the hours needed, maintain a No Claims Discount on their main policy, and still receive comprehensive coverage.
One day car insurance can be a good option if you need to borrow or rent a car for a short period, or if you want to use a car sharing service. However, it is important to remember that one day car insurance is not a substitute for regular car insurance. If you are caught driving without insurance, you could face serious consequences, including fines, points on your licence, or even a driving ban.
A one month car insurance for young drivers can be ideal in some situations. Say you wanted to rent or borrow a car to drive for a short period, no more than one month, it would be silly to take out a full year’s car insurance or even six month car insurance as it would cost you more. One month car insurance or a 28 day car insurance policy would suit many young drivers.
Learner driver insurance is designed to provide insurance coverage for learner drivers who are practising for their driving test. This type of insurance can be helpful for young drivers who are not yet ready to take out a full year’s car insurance policy.
New drivers who have just passed their driving test can expect to pay higher insurance premiums than more experienced drivers. However, there are a number of things that young drivers can do to lower their insurance costs, such as taking out a black box insurance policy.
Being a young driver is more challenging when you own a high-performance or modified car. These vehicles are often classified as “non-standard” due to their increased risk profile, making it difficult to find temporary insurance. There are companies that specialize in providing coverage for these types of cars for short periods.
This company offers pay-as-you-go insurance, which means you only pay for the miles you drive. This can be a good option for young drivers who don’t drive very often.
This is a type of temporary car insurance that is designed for vans. It is typically more expensive than regular car insurance due to the increased risk associated with vans. However, there are a number of things you can do to lower your insurance costs, such as taking a van driving course or installing a black box in your van.
PAYG insurance can be a great option for infrequent drivers, finding coverage for under 21s can be more difficult. Not all PAYG insurers offer coverage for drivers under 21. Some have age restrictions, often starting at 25. However, there are still a few options available for young drivers.
Car insurance for under 21s is notoriously pricey; young drivers are considered more dangerous on the road, and represent greater risk for insurance companies. As a result, the cost of insurance for an under 21 is often well above the national average. Therefore, it is even more important to make sure that you shop around to get the best deal. Different insurance companies have different price ranges, and offer differing policies.
You can use car insurance comparison websites to easily compare what is on offer, and then it is a good idea to contact your chosen company and ask them to provide you with a quote. To get the best price, gather car insurance quotes from several companies, and see which one can offer you the best deal.
Cheapest temporary car insurance for young drivers in the UK can be tricky to find, as insurance companies often view young drivers as high-risk and charge them more. However, there are a few things you can do to get the cheapest temporary car insurance:
- Compare quotes from different insurers. There are a number of insurance companies that offer temporary car insurance, so be sure to compare quotes from a few different companies before you buy a policy.
- Consider a black box policy. Black box policies are a type of insurance that monitors your driving behaviour and rewards you for safe driving. This can be a good way to save money on your temporary car insurance.
- Choose a shorter policy term. The shorter your policy term, the cheaper your insurance will be. However, be sure to choose a policy term that is long enough to cover your needs.
- Increase your excess. The excess is the amount of money you will have to pay if you make a claim. Increasing your excess can help to lower your insurance premium.
- Drive a safe car. The type of car you drive can also affect your insurance premium. If you drive a car that is considered to be high-risk, your insurance will be more expensive.
- Get additional discounts. Some insurance companies offer discounts for young drivers who are good students or who have completed a defensive driving course.
Finding the right insurance when you’re under 21 can be challenging. As we pointed out earlier, insurers often view young drivers as high-risk. Unfortunately, there isn’t a single “best” insurance for under-21s, as the ideal choice will depend on various factors like your age, driving experience, car type, and driving habits. However, there are several great options available that offer competitive rates and comprehensive coverage. Here are the top insurance companies for under 21 drivers in the UK, based on factors such as price, customer reviews, and coverage options:
- Admiral temporary car insurance
- Veygo temporary car insurance
- Aviva temporary car insurance
- Adrian Flux temporary car insurance
- By Miles