If you are planning to travel in the company of your children, you need to have travel insurance for under 18s to cover them. Travelling while you are fully covered is easier and exciting. Having a teenager travelling with you is challenging due to the many risks that come along.
Travel insurance for under 18 covers a wide variety of aspects. Teens get excited whenever they travel abroad and making it riskier for them to go out without any cover.
When shopping for travel insurance for children, you need to get a cover that is cheap and one that fully covers your children. As such, you must shop around to get the best deal. You can use Money Supermarket to help you land on good insurance for under 18. Compare the Market is a specialist insurance comparison site where you can compare quotes so that you can get cheaper insurance for your children.
Travel insurance for under 18 provides wide coverage and covers the following.
- Lost, damaged or stolen luggage of up to £5,000
- Medical treatment overseas of up to £10 million
- Risky activities like skiing
You need to consider the following factors when buying a child’s insurance policy.
- Frequency of travel. If your children are travelling on a single trip, then it is convenient to buy single trip insurance. See for example the European travel insurance for a single trip.
- Is it a school trip? If children are going on a school trip, they could be insured by the school. As such, no need t get an additional cover.
- Is it a family trip? If you are travelling as a family, you can include your children in your policy. You can also opt to insure them separately.
- What activities are children going to undertake? It is exciting to be on holiday. Some activities pose greater risks to injuries. Therefore, make sure that you are aware of what activities your children are going to engage in.
- Are they travelling alone? If you are not accompanying your children on their trip, then you might need a more convenient cover since there is a higher risk.
Make sure that the insurance you take for your children covers them against injuries and other medical conditions. They can contract diseases while on the trip and as such, it is crucial if they are insured. If your children have pre-existing medical conditions, you just mention it to the insurer. Otherwise, your claim can be rejected. If they are travelling within the EU, they can be insured by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Before committing yourself to an insurance policy, make sure to read the terms and conditions. Get to know what the exclusions in children travel insurance are. Some insurers have exclusions where they do not allow children to travel alone and what luggage is insured.
In some cases, you might need to get an extra cover for children to travel insurance in the following scenarios.
- Cancellation and delays
- Devices like phone and laptops