The UK law requires that every driver have car insurance. If you are a student and you wish to drive, you need student car insurance. You will notice that most insurers are very reluctant when giving car insurance to students. It is because young people are categorized as a risky group. Between January 2018 and January 2020, the average price of car insurance for people between 17 and 19 years was 1,091 euros.
It is a legal requirement to have at least Third-Party Only car insurance and as such, students who take their cars to the university would need to have their cars insured. Cheap car insurance for students UK is critical and you need to know how you can get a cheaper deal.
Concessions to students are offered in school fees, travel fees and other aspects of living. Students car insurance UK is also offered, but very few insurers provide the option. Getting cheap student car insurance is great since students are not flush with funds and must rely on their parents. You will need to shop around to get a better deal on cheap student car insurance.
One of the surest ways to find cheap car insurance is by comparing student car insurance rates. You can use online comparison tools or visit various insurance firms. Make sure to compare monthly and annual student car insurance quote, coverage and excesses.
Note that the cheapest car insurance for students may not be the best considering other insurance benefits. Get an insurance cover that covers your needs adequately. Read the policy through before committing to one. Therefore, the balance between cost and insurance coverage benefits you will get. The best insurance for students is one that adequately covers you against liabilities in case of injury or damage to third parties property.
There are three levels of student car insurance.
- Third-party only. It is the minimum insurance policy and it is a legal requirement in the UK. It covers third parties and damages you caused to their properties. However, it does not cover you and your car.
- Third-party, fire and theft. It has the same coverage as Third-Party Only and on top of that, it covers your car against theft and damages caused by fire.
- Fully comprehensive. It covers you against all the above and other damages caused to your vehicle. Besides, it covers you and your passengers.
You may consider student temporary car insurance for some instances, like if you are going on a short trip with your friends. Short term car insurance for students can last for between one and 28 days. You may need to shop around since most insurers are reluctant to give insurance to drivers under 21. It is because such drivers are seen as high risk. Student short term car insurance can help you drive when necessary and avoid paying premiums while you are not driving.
Among the factors that determine the price of car insurance is the mileage and the crime rate in a particular town. Most students have to drive from one town to another to go to the university, increasing mileage. This makes it difficult to get low student car insurance quotes. As such, if you really want to drive, then you should expect higher prices.
However, there are some measures you can take to get the best student insurance deals.
- Use a car with a small engine. Cars with small engines and less powerful attract cheaper insurance prices that translate to lower monthly premiums.
- Pay per mile. Pay per mile will help you to pay lower prices when you drive for fewer miles. Therefore, this is a great option if you only drive to school and live near your school.
- Boost the security of your car. If you can install security features like an alarm and keep your car in a locked garage, it would help you bring down your car insurance cost.
- Increase your voluntary excesses. Excess is the amount you pay when you make a claim. You increase the amount you would pay if you claimed and bring down the cost of insurance.
- Add a named driver. You can add a named driver who is experienced and reduce the cost of your student car insurance. However, if you claimed, it would affect their no claims discount.
- Buy telematics cover. Black box insurance cover can help reduce car insurance prices if you are a careful driver.
- Drive a car in insurance groups 1-4. Cars in these car insurance groups have fewer premiums, ensuring that you pay less.