Car insurance groups determine the money you're going to spend on your car insurance. Here you can find lists that can help determine the car insurance group of a specific car.
New cars are usually in an insurance group that can range from 20 down to 1, where 1 means the lowest risk and thus the lowest car insurance premium.
Factors that determine the insurance group:
- Vehicle performance, i.e. power, speed and acceleration
- Cost to repair the vehicle
- Availability of spare parts and chassis in case of a collision
Security features are also taken into account, these are denoted by the letters E A P D U G :
- E Excellent for the type of car, reduces the group rating by one. E.g. a 7 car with E rating will be 6E.
- A Acceptable.
- P Provisional.
- D Doesn't meet security requirements.
- U Unacceptable.
- G Import.
Types of car
Cars can be classified in many ways. Here's a list according to Wikipedia.
- Microcar, Bubble car
- City car
- Small family car
- Large family car
- Compact executive car
- Executive car
- Luxury car, BMW 7, Audi A8, Tesla Model S
- Grand tourer
- Supercar, a fancy, very expensive car, often made in Italy, e.g. Ferrari, Lamborghini or Bugatti.
- Convertible, a car with a roof that can be opened for an open air experience, e.g. a Volvo C70
- Mini MPV
- Compact MPV
- Large MPV
- Van, e.g. Ford Transit, Volkswagen Transporter, Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.
- Compact SUV
- Mini 4x4
- Large 4x4, e.g. a Hummer H2
The European Commission has issued a document with a list of car classes using letters.
4x4 insurance groups
There are 2 types of 4x4 insurance groups: mini 4x4 and large 4x4. The difference lies in the size of the car and the engine. A Mini Cooper D is obviously a mini 4x4 and a Hummer H2 will be a large 4x4.
When hunting for good 4x4 car insurance quotes it's important to have details at hand of your car or the car that you're planning to get. When it comes to 4x4 vehicles the size and power can really make a difference in terms of insurance premiums.
Type of engine:
Most car insurance companies foremost consider the power of the engine and the acceleration of the car for determining the amound that you will have to pay to be properly insured..