6 Month Home Insurance

A typical home insurance is renewed annually. However, like any other form of insurance, insurers strive to sell to you a policy that will suit your needs rather than providing a one-size-fits-all. A 6-month home insurance is one of the modified covers that are available in the UK. It is often purchased if you intend to leave your house unoccupied for up to 6 months. During the period when the cover is active, you will be compensated in case of vandalism, theft, natural disaster, as well as relevant public liability cases.

Is a 6-Month Home Insurance Worth it?

So you will be away for a period not exceeding 6 months. In an ideal situation, you will lock your doors and windows, activate your burglar alarm, head off and expect to come back and find the house just as you left it. While this may be so, the reality is that an unforeseen event may take place. Thieves could break in, there could be heavy rains that leave your house flooded, or a pipe could burst and cause damage to your valuable items. Correcting the mess will be a very hectic task, not to mention an extremely expensive one too. A home insurance for 6 months is helpful since it offers adequate cover in case of such unforeseen events.

When Should I Consider Purchasing a 6-Month Home Insurance?

The short-term home insurance is usually purchased if you intend to leave your house unoccupied for several months. As such, you should consider this policy when you are in one of the following situations:

  • Your house is up for sale, and you have already vacated to a new house
  • It is an inherited house or a holiday home that is not your main residential place
  • You have bought the house, but it will take several months before you move in
  • Your house is under renovation, and it is unsafe to live in it during that period
  • You rent your house, but it currently doesn’t have tenants
  • When you are on long-term medical care
  • When you are awaiting a probate

What is Covered by a Short-Term Home Insurance?

Similar to other forms of insurance, the short-term home insurance coverage offered by different insurers differs. However, home insurance that lasts for 6 months typically covers the following unexpected events:

  • Natural disasters: in the case of a natural calamity such as flood, fire, or storm, the short-term home insurance will come in handy.
  • Vandalism: the policy will compensate you if your house is subjected to criminal damage.
  • Oil or water leakage: it is possible for a pipe within the house to burst and cause damage to the insured items. If this happens, you can remain calm knowing that your 6-month home insurance has it covered.
  • Actual or attempted theft: the cover will be applicable if thieves still your house’s contents or fail to steal the items but end up damaging the installed security systems.
  • Public liability: picture this scenario: a roof tile from your house falls off and hits your neighbor. The resultant liability costs will be catered for by your short-term home insurance.
  • Legal expenses: there may be trespassers who invade your house in your absence. To eject them, you may need to hire the services of a lawyer. In such a case, the involved legal costs will be covered by the purchased home insurance policy.

What Doesn’t the 6-Month Home Insurance Cover?

  • Damage caused by contractors: if the contractors you have hired to renovate your house cause damage to it, the short-term house insurance won’t compensate you. However, the contractors should have a professional indemnity insurance that will be applicable in such a scenario.
  • Major repairs or renovations: depending on the insurer, your 6-month home insurance may not be applicable if damage to your house happens during a major renovation or repairs to the structure.
  • Unforced entry: imagine going for a vacation and forgetting to lock one of your windows or exterior doors. If you do so and return to a house where some of your valuable belongings are missing, the policy will not compensate you.

How Much Does a 6-Month Home Insurance Cost in the UK?

Insurance prices in the UK can vary greatly, depending on a multitude of factors. The factors that influence the cost of six month home insurance include:

  • Location of the house: if the property is located in an area with a high chance of flooding or high crime rate, you are likely to pay a higher price for the insurance.
  • Value of the property: if the house and its belongings are expensive, they will cost the insurance company a substantial amount to replace or repair in case of an unforeseen event. As such, you will be required to pay more for the 6-month home insurance.
  • Level of coverage: the more details you wish to add to your policy, the higher the premiums you will pay.
  • Claims history: If you have a history of making claims, you may pay more for insurance.
  • Excess: The excess is the amount you pay upfront in the event of a claim. Choosing a higher excess can lower your premium.

Generally, 6-month home insurance costs can be categorized into low, mid, and high cost brackets based on annual premium ranges. For instance, low-cost options may start at approximately £75.00 for 6 months, reflecting an annual premium of around £150. Mid-cost policies typically hover around £150.00 for 6 months, with an annual premium of roughly £300. Meanwhile, high-cost coverage may amount to approximately £250.00 for 6 months, corresponding to an annual premium of about £500. These figures provide a general idea of the potential costs involved, but may vary significantly based on individual circumstances and insurance providers. It’s important to understand that these figures are not definitive quotes.


There are instances where you don’t need the typical home insurance, but you still want to cover the structure and its contents while you are away for a few months. In such a scenario, home insurance for 6 months will be ideal. In the UK, there are various insurers who offer such a cover with different details and at different prices.

While 6 months is shorter than the standard, there are other insurance options specifically designed for even shorter periods. These are often called temporary home insurance or unoccupied property insurance.