You are here

Comparing home insurances

Home insurance in the UK is as important as it is anywhere in the world. Your home and property needs to be protected against damage from fire and other natural disasters as well as from theft. Its risk you cannot just avoid. If your home is insured than you can be confident that at least you will be remunerated – financially. However, there are some things you need to look at when you are out shopping for an adequate home insurance policy.

For most people, the home is the most expensive purchase that they would have made. So it is important that you get the best and most comprehensive cover available in the market to protect your home.
What most people go in for is a building cover which would insure your building against fire or any other eventuality. Don’t for a moment think, that the premium you have to pay is very expensive and not insure your home.

The other important aspect of home insurance is contents insurance. The reason is that even for an average family, the value of possessions is very high. You have to make sure what each insurance provider is offering by way of contents insurance. This is something you will have to double check. It would also be a good idea to insure the very expensive things item wise.

Read the fine print

It would be a good idea to read the fine print carefully and see what each insurance provider has to offer. To really comprehend this, you will have to decide what level of insurance you require. Would the insurer pay if the gale winds broke your window panes or if the pipes burst? It is also good to take a look beyond the walls, is your garden furniture covered against theft or natural disasters?

The cost of your insurance is also very important. You have to make sure that your pound goes a long way. Now, that does not mean that you take the cheapest cover available in the market because even if you are not paying much now, in the case of an eventuality you will be hit hard. To make sure that you get the best out of your insurance and reduce the premiums there are some measures you have to take. You will have to increase your excess and install security features in your home.

Some insurers offer you free contents insurance. But read the fine print, it would often say that you would have to have an existing policy which has been claims free for at least three or more years
There are also household removal covers, which cover the cost of damage when moving houses. What does the fine print say? That it excludes personal money, coins, jewellery, watches, furs, items of gold or platinum, precious stones, bonds, stocks and shares, stamps, deeds or documents.

UK has a large number of insurance providers so it is really important that you get the best cover possible to protect your home.